Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Scrap Book 22

I found this light-switch in my hallway, 2nd Dorch left.  It has only looked like this for a few weeks, and I'm not sure of when exactly it was changed, but I would assume that it was a Friday or Saturday night.  First I just noticed it because I wasn't used to a light-switch looking like that.  Then I noticed how the break was nearly straight down the middle, and the symmetrical appearance of the smooth side contrasted with the the gaping naked side reminded me of the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which I actually just read yesterday.  Mr. Hyde describes the persona of Jekyll as the cloak under which he hides to preserve himself from judgment.  If I named this photograph "The Doctor's Mask, Reflecting, Broken, Reveals the Dark Hyding Within" the poetic nature of the title would render the photograph a metaphor, and therefore, art.  But I have not named this photograph in such a way, but merely "Scrapbook 22" and it remains purely objective, and unsentimental.  The light-switch itself is not art, but it is possible for a human being to take virtually anything, and by putting it in a new, strange context, adds a figurative layer of meaning that could manifest his creativity, and/or take the viewer away.

No comments:

Post a Comment