Saturday, March 14, 2009

Scrap Book 12

It is interesting to me that such beauty would not be called a work of art, under the definition that I have been using thus far in my scrapbook entries.  The beauty of the Earth itself was not created or built by humans, nor was it the manifestation of an inspired human heart.  There are many who would say that it is the greatest work of art of all, created by an omnipotent Being who sought to share his wondrous creation with us, humans.  However, my definition only includes those works of inspiration created by human hands and human will power.  This does not in any way conflict with an ideology that the earth is the wondrous creation of an omnipotent Being.  It merely removes the claim of earth as art, due to the fact that God's hands are not human hands.  Art, I think is a very human thing, because, in my experiences, we create art in order to transcend our mortal bonds, in an attempt to create something lasting and true.  If God is an everlasting and infinite Being, than I do not see how there could be any drive to rise above weakness and mortality.  
This photograph itself, on the other hand, may be called artistic.  I took this picture on the path to the Campus Center.  For its symmetry and the contrast between the light and dark shades, it has many commonly artistic qualities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment