Saturday, March 14, 2009

Scrap Book 11

I found this interesting mark on the wall in one of the practice piano rooms downstairs in Monty.  I first noticed it because it was a stark break in the monotonous pattern covering all other space on the wall.  The whole wall is covered in tiny holes, and suddenly there is a crack, drawing a line between two rows of holes, at once separating them from themselves, and uniting them in individuality from the rest of the wall.  I don't know how this crack came to be in the wall as it is, however I find no reason to believe that this crack was intentionally man-made.  Perhaps if Andy Warhol or Picasso had created a painting full of repeating dots, and like on the wall, drew a line through a few of them, then such a painting could definitely be called art, due to the name of the painter, and due to the poetic significance in the unison of "us" against "them".  Because these are in fact merely holes and a crack in the wall, they are not art.  Though, in truth, they do stand out against the rest of the wall, I probably would not have noticed them if I had not been looking for things that were not art.

No comments:

Post a Comment